Eligibility Criteria for all IHSS Applicants and Recipients:
· You must physically reside in the United States.
· You must also be a California resident.
· You must have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.
· You must live at home or an abode of your own choosing (acute care hospital, long-term care facilities, and licensed community care
facilities are not considered "own home").
· You must submit a completed Health Care Certification form.
Anyone who recognizes that a person is in need of in-home assistance may make a referral to IHSS. Once the requirements for the Health Care Certification and Medi-Cal eligibility are met a social worker is assigned to the case to conduct an assessment of need. The determination will take into consideration the applicant's medical condition, living arrangement, persons living in the home and resources that may already be available.
Once the needs assessment is authorized, IHSS can assist a recipient with locating a caregiver. A friend or relative may serve as a caregiver, or a referral may be made through the IHSS Registry. Once a caregiver is selected, the client acts as the employer and is responsible for supervision and signing time sheets.
Working together, IHSS and the caregiver ensure that each recipient is able to remain in their home – safely, comfortably and with as much independence as possible.